Dental bridges reduce and connect the teeth with gap in between of them or keep in place the drifted teeth. It is made up of crowns for the teeth on either side of the void. These crowns are referred to as the abutment teeth with pseudo teeth in between.These false teeth being called as pontic. Apparently, sometimes the bridges are supported by natural teeth or in other cases implants.
Need a Doctor? Get an Appointment Today!
Whenever one faces dental problems, the first mindset is to postpone the same and do not see the doctor. We at Rohit Dental Clinic understand your anxiety. We try to make your visit and appointment as comfortable as possible. All you need to do it pick up your phone and dial us at
Advantages of Dental Bridges
The gains of switching to dental bridges are myriad like:
- It is always said prevention is better than cure and therefore dental bridges are the prevention that you can take for any further distortions in your teeth thus curing your future dental complications.
- With dentures, it becomes kind of embarrassing and difficulty in doing simple activities like chewing and speaking but if the dental bridges come into play all these complications are withered away.
- Teeth do give a shape to your face and drifted teeth are sure to give you a shape you won’t desire for hence dental bridges are quite helpful in maintaining your shape of the face and restoring your smile.
Types of Dental Bridges
Precisely there are four categories into which dental bridges are described-
- Maryland Bonded Bridges: They constitute porcelain, sometimes porcelain amalgamated with metal, plastic teeth and gums supported by porcelain framework.
- Cantilever Bridges: These are not so popular and recommended anymore because of their attribute of putting pressure on the back side of the mouth. However, they are put to the application when there are adjacent to one of the side of the teeth. They may also lead to the fractured tooth or loose crowns because of the support provided from one side.
- Traditional Bridges: Widely accepted and most commonly used a type of Dental Bridges. It involves developing a crown for the unavailable teeth with a pontic in between. It is made up of the same material ass Maryland bonded bridges or sometimes porcelain fused with ceramics. These bridges are even liable enough to replace molars. Their only disadvantage being that they require removal of enamel and since enamel doesn’t grow back traditional bridges require crowns for their protection.
- Implant-Supported Bridges: Their application is when more than one tooth is missing they are not supported by any crown or metal framework but by the implants themselves as their name suggests. It requires two surgeries with this kind of process First for the placement of implants then the establishment of the bridge.
Procedure To Get Dental Bridges
The first visit to your dentist involves examining the area where the dental bridge is required for it being eligible enough to support a bridge. Then the preparation of abutment teeth starts which involves allowing a room for the crown to be placed there. A temporary bridge is installed by your dentist to protect the exposed gums and teeth.
In your second visit, your temporary bridge will be replaced with the permanent porcelain bridge made keeping in mind the size and structure of your adjacent teeth. You have to pay a certain number of visits in the beginning for maintenance of your bridge varies from person to person. The doctor may cement it in further visits for proper fitting.
Dental Bridge FAQs
The patients are mostly focussed on cleaning for its proper maintenance but another important factor which leads to the dental bridges go on for years is proper nutrition. A healthy diet ensures that there is no need for any further bridges in your teeth. Good oral hygiene involves brushing your teeth twice a day with floss or medically recommended mouthwash.
The cost of the treatment differs from place to place but if you are in possession of a medical insurance then you are sure to get some extra benefits.
There is hardly going to be any change in the speaking and as for eating you have to get accustomed to soft foods and healthy drinks for the beginning days. Once they are permanently cemented you can enjoy all the delicious food available without any worries.
A dental bridge if maintained properly can last upto 15 years. Once you get your treatment done it is just in the few beginning months that you have to pay often visits to your dentist. Although having monthly check ups is also good for your health but no compulsion of visiting to dentist on regular basis for all your life after getting the dental bridges. With so many advances in Dental field you can be assured with your dentist providing you the appropriate confidence to give a perfect smile and develop a remarkable way of speaking.